Acupuncture and Oriental Medicine
Oriental Medicine, also known as Traditional Chinese Medicine (TCM), is a complete medicine based on 2,000 years of rich clinical experience. It can aid in balancing most imbalances in the body.
Oriental medicine includes acupuncture, tui na, gua sha, cupping, moxibustion, herbal therapy and TCM (Traditional Chinese Medicine) diagnosis. TCM diagnosis is very important because often when there is no Western medical diagnosis and/or treatment, Oriental medicine can fill the gap.
How Does Acupuncture Work?
Put simply, acupuncture triggers the body’s natural healing response. Biochemically and neurologically, there are many mechanisms of action by which acupuncture urges the body toward homeostasis.
- Neurotransmitters: Acupuncture stimulates the secretion of serotonin, GABA, beta-endorphins, and enkephalins in the brain. Endorphins and enkephalins are opioid peptides which act like opiates causing a general relaxed feeling throughout the body and triggering the antinocioceptive system to relieve pain. GABA causes muscle relaxation. Serotonin is commonly known to elevate mood, but only 10% of the serotonin in the body regulates mood, appetite, sleep and cognitive function like memory. The remaining 90% is actually located in the alimentary canal (gut) where it functions to regulate intestinal movement, hemostasis, blood clotting and wound healing.
- Autonomic Nervous System: Acupuncture stimulates the release of norepinephrine and acetylcholine affecting changes in their turnover rate, normalizing the autonomic nervous system and reducing pain.
- Anti-inflammatory: Acupuncture reduces the levels of proinflammatory cytokines elevated after nerve injury in peripheral nerves and dorsal root ganglia.
- Increased Vascular flow: Acupuncture increases blood flow to the areas in need of healing. Blood plasma contains growth factors which have powerful healing properties.
What are Acupuncture Meridians?
Acupuncture meridians are transparent filamentous structures that have only recently been able to be viewed by scientists under the strongest stereomicroscope and in the newest CT scans. They travel along the lymphatic and blood vessels as pictured here.
The acupuncture meridians have been shown to carry light called biophotons! As we know from fiberoptic networks, light carries more information than electricity or any other signalling molecules. Therefore, the acupuncture meridian pathways provide the basis for all information transfer within the human body. Check out this article in Acupuncture Today to read more about Acupuncture Meridian Science.
Each acupuncture meridian corresponds to an organ system as pictured here. Acupuncture involves insertion of very fine needles into points on the meridians to affect each one of these organ systems. Many imbalances can be brought back to homeostasis with acupuncture.
What does Acupuncture help?
- Pain – arthritis, MS, knee pain, post surgery
- High blood pressure
- Digestive disorders
- Irregular menstruation, PMS
- Cognitive impairment
- Male infertility
- Low Libido
- Erectile Dysfunction
- Bacterial and Viral Infection
Click the calendar to Book your appointment online! Choose First Appointment on the menu if this is your first acupuncture treatment at Point Lumineux.